Capital Experience By Rail
Tour Eastern Canada’s cities on this nine-night itinerary starting in Toronto. Travel by Canada’s efficient VIA Rail on The Corridor route to Ottawa, Québec City and Montréal back to Toronto with included hop-on hop-off tours in each city and a full-day trip to Niagara Falls.
Suggested route & duration
9 nights round-trip from Toronto
• Toronto: 3 nights
• Ottawa: 2 nights
• Québec City: 2 nights
• Montréal: 2 nights
About this independent tour
Why you’ll love this itinerary
• Take VIA Rail’s The Corridor route for smooth journeys between the cities
• See Eastern Canada’s cities: multi-cultural Toronto, nostalgic Québec City, charming Ottawa and foodie-friendly Montréal
• Go on city sightseeing tours included in your itinerary
• See Niagara Falls on a full-day trip from Toronto
Suggested itinerary details
Day 1: Toronto Arrive in Toronto and take a hop-on hop-off tour, visit the CN Tower and go on a full-day trip to Niagara Falls. Stay 3 nights at Chelsea Hotel.
Day 4: Ottawa Take the train to the Canadian capital and go on a sightseeing tour or visit the Canadian Museum of History. Stay 2 nights at Lord Elgin Hotel.
Day 6: Québec City Head over to Québec by train and take a two-hour tour before wandering around the pretty Old Town. Stay 2 nights at Hotel Château Laurier Québec.
Day 8: Montréal Continue to Montréal and go on a three-hour tour or visit the Grevin Montréal Museum. Stay 2 nights at Delta Hotels by Marriott Montréal.
Changing of the Guards
See Ottawa’s British-style Changing of the Guards at 10am from mid-July to mid-August
Hunt down the best gravy-slathered, cheese-curd-covered chips on your travels
Over and under
Tour downtown Montréal and its 20-mile underground network of shops and metro stations
Set foot in Toronto’s oddest and most interesting museum, Bata Shoe Museum
Tailor your tour
Make it your own
We’ve crafted this itinerary based on our own experiences and our customers’ feedback. It’s fully flexible, so talk to us and we can create your perfect trip.
Where to stay
Our pick of hotels have convenient locations like the Lord Elgin Hotel in Ottawa, which is also on the route for the summertime Changing of the Guard. This city-focused itinerary gives you plenty of options whatever your budget, from simple stays to Fairmont heritage properties.
Travelling by VIA Rail makes this itinerary nice and easy. We recommend upgrading to business class for access to the comfortable business class lounge before departure as well as more space on board, complimentary meals, cocktail service and Wi-Fi.
We’ve planned in enough time for a good overview of the contrasting cities on this itinerary. Add on extra nights in any cities that you’re keen to get more out of, or extend your time overall to do it all at a more leisurely pace.
See more of Eastern Canada in the coastal Atlantic provinces (p122), or add on a cruise down the St. Lawrence River – lots of cruise lines sail in the summer and autumn from Montréal to New York or Boston. Both options can add around another 7 to 12 nights to your itinerary.
Good to know
When to go
• Canada’s cities are great for year-round travel. Summers are good for festivals and sightseeing, though it can get humid; spring is pleasantly mild and autumn is perfect for seeing the changing fall colours. Winter is especially enchanting as the cities can be covered in snow and festive decorations
• Train services can be affected by national holidays; check ahead to see if your travel dates are affected