South Island has some of the best scenery New Zealand has to offer, from rolling vineyards and sweeping beaches to sparkling lakes and snow-topped peaks.
It’s known for its spectacular scenery, but there’s more to New Zealand’s South Island than just mountains and waterways. The cities of Christchurch and Queenstown are popular year-round and both must-sees for an authentic taste of Kiwi life. Enjoy world-class wine, superb walking trails and an incredibly diverse range of wildlife all in one place.
- Cruise or sea kayak in stunning and dramatic Milford Sound, dominated by the imposing Mitre Peak and home to diverse wildlife - it's on everyone's New Zealand must-do list for good reason
- Hike through or kayak along Abel Tasman National Park for some glorious scenery
- Head to Queenstown for the Shotover Jet, bungee jumping, luging and other adventure sports
- Let an experienced guide take you on a heli-hike on Franz Josef Glaicer which includes a 10 minute helicopter flight
- And you can't go to the South Island without taking in the incredible scenery as seen in The Lord of the Rings films