• Thanks to a large bank of solar panels, Little Governors' can now run on 100% solar power. This provides electricity to the whole camp, including the staff areas, kitchen, laundry and guest areas
• All water is now heated by solar water heaters and each tent has its own solar water heater installed
• Governors’ recognises that local people must benefit directly from tourism, resulting in a 40-year-long commitment to local communities delivering genuine social and conservation results.
• Governors’ fund an eye clinic complete with operating rooms to help treat common eye diseases
• A ‘zero waste’ policy means that all of the camp’s waste is sorted and separated then processed for recycling where possible. A programme has also been initiated to use this recycled paper and cardboard to make briquettes to fuel the hot water systems.
• Governors’ funding for local primary schools includes providing uniforms and paying teachers’ salaries. Funding through secondary school is provided for some of the most gifted pupils
• Governors’ have helped fund construction of classrooms, libraries, bore holes, water towers and tanks, solar power and water purification facilities in local schools
• Support is provided for the Narok County Council by supplying equipment and personnel to help with maintenance of local roads and the airstrip
• Governors’ have helped build a new Health Centre at Mara Rianda just outside the Masai Mara National Reserve for their Masai community neighbours
• Governors’ actively re-plants an average of 45 native trees a month to help replace those lost to natural causes (primarily destructive elephant grazing).
*Denotes local charge