This eight-night fly-in safari is the perfect introduction to the wildlife and natural beauty of Botswana. There’s a distinct feel of exclusivity throughout, with intimate lodges, small planes and fantastic game-viewing experiences. Then visit the thundering Victoria Falls.
Suggested route & duration
10 nights from Okavango Delta
• Okavango Delta: 3 nights
• Moremi Game Reserve: 2 nights
• Chobe Game Reserve: 3 nights
• Victoria Falls: 2 nights
About this independent tour
Why you'll love this safari
• It’s exclusive, remote and comprehensive – see wildlife by air, 4x4, mokoro, motorboat and on foot (read more on p58)
• Stay at unique lodges in Botswana and an elegant heritage hotel on the banks of the Zambezi
• See the wildlife of the Okavango Delta from a mokoro canoe
• Visit the iconic Victoria Falls
• Spot huge herds of Kalahari elephants in Chobe National Park
Suggested itinerary details
Day 1: OKAVANGO DELTA Board a light aircraft in Maun and travel over the spectacular scenery of the Okavango Delta – an intricate inland maze of winding waterways and tiny islands. Head out and explore the wildlife wonders of the delta in a traditional mokoro; a streamlined canoe that expertly meanders the shallow floodplains. Stay 3 nights at Camp Okavango
Day 4: MOREMI GAME RESERVE Fly to Moremi Game Reserve, a wildlife haven on the eastern side of the Okavango Delta. Home to one of the densest wildlife concentrations in Africa, head out on a game drive to spot endangered wild dogs and the classic Big Five. Stay 2 nights at Camp Moremi.
Day 6: CHOBE NATIONAL PARK Fly to Kasane and head towards Chobe National Park, one of Africa’s great wildlife destinations. Famous for having one of the largest elephant populations in the world, its four different ecosystems are exceptional to explore. Discover the park on a game drive or head to the wildlife-rich riverfront for a river cruise. Stay 3 nights at Chobe Game Lodge.
Day 9: VICTORIA FALLS Head to Victoria Falls, one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. Trek to the aptly-named Knife Edge Bridge to see the Eastern Cataract and visit the famous Devil’s Pool. Stay 2 nights at The Royal Livingstone Victoria Falls Zambia Hotel by Anantara.
See hippos and crocodiles
Take to the water for a sunset safari cruise along the Chobe River
Flight of Angels
Hop on a helicopter and experience the enormity of Victoria Falls from the air
Huge packs of wild dogs
Join an expert guide and track endangered African wild dogs in Moremi Game Reserve
Meander the intricate waterways and superb wildlife of the Okavango Delta
Tailor your tour
Make it your own
We’ve crafted this itinerary based on our own experiences and our customers’ feedback. It’s fully flexible so talk to us and we can create your perfect trip.
Where to stay
We’ve chosen Desert & Delta’s superb safari camps because they’re intimate, stylish and in some of the most stunning wildlife spots. Desert & Delta have 8 different camps so it’s up to you to choose exactly where you want to stay. For the ultimate in wild luxury, upgrade to Belmond’s 5-star lodges.
Days are filled with incredible experiences, from sunrise game drives and walking safaris to sundowner cruises. Victoria Falls is just a 2-hour drive from Chobe National Park, so we’ve included a 2-night stay in Livingstone to make sure you have enough time to experience this incredible landmark.
We think that 2 nights is the shortest amount of time you’ll want to spend in these incredible destinations. We’ve allowed more time to get the best experience – this does add to the cost but only a little and it’s definitely worth it.
If you have more time, you can easily add in a 2-night stay in Makgadikgadi Pans National Park. This massive pan is home to the second largest zebra migration in the world. There are direct flights from Maun to Cape Town so we recommend extending your itinerary in South Africa’s most iconic city.
Good to know
When to go
• Prime time to visit Botswana is between March and November, when rainfall is lower and days are much cooler
• April to October is the best time to see elephants in Chobe
• May to November is great for spotting game in the Okavango Delta
• See the most birds in the Delta from December to March
• Botswana’s low season is between November and April – generally this is the wet season, but it’s a good time to escape the crowds
• Victoria Falls is best seen from June to September