This two-week itinerary makes the most of Qantas’ recently introduced non-stop flight from London to Perth. Now open for business, Western Australia is stocked with some of the country’s best beaches, the most glorious weather and scenic open-road drives without the traffic.
Suggested route & duration
Suggested route 12 nights from Perth
• Perth: 2 nights
• Margaret River: 2 nights
• Pemberton: 2 nights
• Albany: 2 nights
• Esperance: 2 nights
• Hyden: 1 night
• Perth: 1 night
About this independent tour
Why you’ll love this self-drive
• Go on a day trip to Rottnest Island off Perth’s coast for quokka selfies
• Sip on Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling and Chardonnay in Margaret River
• Discover bewitching beaches like the powder-dusted Lucky Bay in Cape Le Grand National Park
• Take a stroll on one of the world’s longest piers at Busselton Jetty
• This itinerary can also be done in a campervan or motorhome.
Suggest self-drive itinerary details
Day 1: Perth Land in sunny Perth for lazy beach days, craft beer tasting and the perfect #quokkaselfie on Rottnest Island. Stay 2 nights at Crown Promenade.
Day 3: Margaret River Head south to try grown-up grape juice from over 200 wineries. Stay 2 nights at Margarets Beach Resort.
Day 5: Pemberton Unwind with a forest walk among towering karri trees – including some as high as 52 metres tall. Stay 2 nights at RAC Karri Valley Resort.
Day 7: Albany Explore the stunning coastal scenery and Albany’s heritage as a whaling town. Stay 2 nights at The Beach House at Bayside.
Day 9: Esperance Spend time on suspiciously white beaches like Lucky Bay, a stone’s throw from bubblegum-pink Lake Hillier. Stay 2 nights at Hospitality Esperance, SureStay Collection by Best Western.
Day 11: Hyden See Aboriginal art in Mulka’s Cave and check out mind-bending rock formations like The Wave and Hippo’s Yawn. Stay at Wave Rock Motel.
Day 12: Perth Return to Perth for your last night. Stay at Crown Promenade.
Walk over water on the one of the longest jetties and hop on the toy train back
Taste wine from different vineyards with the award-winning Top Drop Tours
Learn about the ANZACS of WWI in Albany’s must-see interactive museum
Kangaroos on the beach
Watch kangaroos hop around Cape Le Grand National Park’s Lucky Bay, near Esperance
Tailor your tour
Make it your own
We’ve crafted this itinerary based on our own experiences and our customers’ feedback. It’s fully flexible, so talk to us and we can create your perfect trip.
Where to stay
Upgrade at Crown Perth to Metropol or Towers, or go for a boutique option like The Alex. Margaret River has plenty of options for different tastes, like chic Smith’s Beach Resort and elevated country house, Cape Lodge. This itinerary is also great as a motorhome holiday.
This itinerary gives you the chance to delve into Margaret River’s wine scene and explore some of the coastline – the Cape to Cape Track is one of our favourite walks. Visit the Cape Leeuwin lighthouse and Busselton Jetty and breathe in fresh air on the Valley of the Giants Treetop Walk.
We’ve included lots of two-night stops along the way so you can stretch your legs after driving and have enough time to really see each place. We love the Margaret River region; it’s a tempting option with lots to do if you want to stay longer.
See more of Margaret River by splitting your stay between north and south, or tweak this route by swapping Wave Rock for Kalgoorlie to see the Victorian mining town’s Super Pit. Draw out the route even more by crossing the Nullabor Plain towards Adelaide, or driving up the coast from Perth.
Good to know
When to go\
• Perth and its suburbs have a Mediterranean climate and the most sunshine out of any Aussie city, so it’s pleasant for most of the year
• Summer can mean temperatures in the 40s, although the ‘Fremantle Doctor’ usually brings in a cooling breeze in the afternoon
• Margaret River and the southern coast tends to be more mild – perfect weather for being on the road in a motorhome; Perthians head for the coast at the weekend so the city gets quieter