The ‘Pink City’ of Jaipur is the capital of Rajasthan and remarkable among Indian cities for its wide, regular boulevards, grid-plan streets, labyrinthine bazaars and opulent palaces. Tradition and modernity seem to exist side by side. Highlights of a visit include the beautiful Hawa Mahal, or ‘Palace of the Winds’ and the Nahargarh and Amber Forts.
- A self-guided walking tour of the Old City is one of the best ways to discover the major attractions of Jaipur such as the Palace of the Winds and the City Palace
- The spectacular hill-top Jaigarh Fort is located to the north of the city and offers far reaching views of the surrounding countryside
- There are plenty of shopping opportunities in the 'Pink City' with a number of vibrant street bazaars to be explorer
- The Amber Fort, located 7 miles north of the city, is Jaipur's crown jewel built in the late 16th Century
- You can visit Jaipur as part of an escorted tour or on a tailor made car and driver itinerary
Jaipur holiday highlights
Visit Jaipur’s famous Hawa Mahal (Palace of the Winds) early in the morning when its red and pink sandstone facade is soaked in incredible golden sunlight. The City Palace is an exquisite complex of Rajhastani and Mughal architecture also housing a museum and art gallery. Just ten kilometres outside of Jaipur lies Galta, an 18th Century sacred site. The Monkey Temple here is worth a visit at sunset when monkeys can be seen swimming in the sacred pools. Half an hour drive out of the city, the unique Amber Fort and Palace lies overlooking the Maota Lake, soaked in history and stunning architecture.