Amboseli, Tsavo & Beach
City, safari and coast are all covered on this 10-night itinerary. You’ll travel from Nairobi to Mombasa and spend a few nights in the beautiful national parks of Amboseli and Tsavo on the way. Head out on game drives in both parks, keeping an eye out for the Big Five and varied birdlife.
Suggested route & duration
10 nights from Nairobi
• Nairobi: 1 night
• Amboseli: 2 nights
• Tsavo: 2 nights
• Mombasa: 5 nights
About this independent tour
Why you’ll love this itinerary
• Travel in your own private safari vehicle (seating up to six) from Nairobi to the beach via two of Kenya’s most picturesque parks\ • See diverse landscapes without travelling a huge distance
• Go on safari in the shadow of Mount Kilimanjaro in Amboseli
• Watch Amboseli’s elephants taking a dip in the snowmelt-fed swamps
• Visit Mzima Springs in Tsavo, a natural pool that’s home to crocodile and hippo
• Get some well-earned R&R on the beach in Mombasa
Suggested itinerary details
Day 1: Nairobi Spend a night in the capital before starting your adventure. Stay at Fairmont The Norfolk.
Day 2: Amboseli Go on 4x4 safaris in Amboseli, a national park known for its huge elephant herds. Stay 2 nights at Tawi Lodge.
Day 4: Tsavo See the natural wonders and seek out the varied wildlife of vast Tsavo National Park. Stay 2 nights at Finch Hattons.
Day 6: Mombasa Spend the rest of your time relaxing at a beach hotel in Mombasa. Stay 5 nights at Elewana AfroChic.
Luxury tented camp
Finch Hattons’s observation deck provides a wonderful vantage point to spot wildlife
Amboseli boma dinners
Dine on traditional Kenyan food under the stars in the boma at Tawi Lodge
Rust-red landscapes in Tsavo
Between game drives, visit Tsavo’s Mzima Springs and Shetani lava flow
Soak up the Indian Ocean views from your beachfront resort in Mombasa
Tailor your tour
Make it your own
We’ve crafted this itinerary based on our own experiences and our customers’ feedback. It’s fully flexible, so talk to us and we can create your perfect trip.
Where to stay
To create an exclusive experience, we’ve included stays at Tawi Lodge, a thatched lodge in the Amboseli-adjacent Kilitome Conservancy, and Finch Hattons, a luxury tented camp in Tsavo. For a good-value holiday, opt for the cool and comfortable Serena hotels inside the national parks.
We’ve based this trip on road transfers between each destination but it’s also possible to travel by train. The Madaraka Express is a modern train that connects the capital and the coast, stopping on the way at stations with easy access to both national parks.
The safari part of this itinerary is relatively short and perfectly links Nairobi and the Kenyan coast. We’ve included 2 nights in Amboseli and Tsavo which gives you a full day in each to go out on morning and evening game drives. It’s easy to add a night in either park or extend your beach break.
There are plenty of places that you can add to this trip to create a more in-depth safari. Before or after your visit to Amboseli and Tsavo, you can add on a few nights in the Maasai Mara. You can also extend your stay in Mombasa for more time on the beach.
Good to know
When to go
• July to October is warm and dry, and is the best season for comfortable game viewing
• The hot and humid rainy season lasts from March to May, while the shorter rains fall during November and December
• For birdwatchers, the best months to see migratory birds are from October to January