Discover some of Kerala's stunning beach hideaways
The beautiful beaches of Kerala are blessed with tranquil estuaries and waterways as well as the sparkling waters of the Indian Ocean. Kovalam is set almost at India’s most southern tip and this former fishing village is now one of Kerala’s most popular beach resorts; while Marari is a sleepy fishing village near Alleppey and it is the perfect peaceful place to relax following a tour of Southern India.
- Lighthouse Beach – the most popular of Kovalam's three main beaches – is lined with hotels and restaurants offering the catch-of-the-day
- Escape to a hillside retreat and relax on the picture-perfect bays, which are backed by laid-back hotels and Ayurvedic resorts
- Embrace the slow pace of life in Marari and the ancient practices of yoga and meditation
- Between Goa and the more famous beach resorts of Kerala lies Bekal where you will find luxury beach resorts and a wide expanse of white sand. Post-sunset swims are a favourite pastime heres
- Each of Kerala's beach resorts make a great post-tour break
Best time to visit Kerala Beach
• The south west coast of India is at it's driest, and therefore busiest between December and April
• The southwest monsoon affects the region between June and September bringing very heavy rains; while the northwest monsoon brings lighter rains from October to December.
Kerala Beach holiday highlights
Utopian sands and verdant vegetation are interspersed with some of India’s finest retreats such as Kovalam, which poetically translates to ‘grove of coconut trees’. Almost at India’s most southern tip, the sweeping beaches of this popular resort offer natural beauty and turquoise waters. Kovalam also offers an alternative to the beaches of Goa for those looking to relax and unwind after a tour of India’s iconic sights.
Marari, shortened from Mararikulam, is a sleepy little fishing village near Alleppey and offers an escape from India’s bustling cities. Boasting idyllic golden sand beaches and simple living locals, this coastal resort is dotted with charming home stays. The pace of life is slow here so take the time to realign your body and soul as you unwind in total tranquillity, indulging in rejuvenating Ayurvedic massage and the ancient practises of yoga and meditation. It really is an ideal spot to spend some time after exploring the backwaters of Kerala.