A great introduction to Tanzania’s must-see highlights – the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater. See superb wildlife like big cats and elephants, and stay in scenic lodges close to the action. This short and easy itinerary is ideal for combining with a beach break on the white sands of Zanzibar.
Suggested route & duration
5 nights from Arusha
• Arusha: 1 night
• Ngorongoro: 2 nights
• Serengeti: 2 nights
About this independent tour
Why you’ll love this safari
• Travel in your own 4x4 vehicle with a private guide to see more of Tanzania and soak up the African atmosphere\ • Head down into the astonishing Ngorongoro Crater
• Explore the wildlife-rich Serengeti
• See anthropological hot spot, Olduvai Gorge
Suggested itinerary details
Day 1: Arusha Start with a relaxing night in Arusha, between the twin peaks of Mount Meru and Mount Kilimanjaro. Stay at Lake Duluti Serena.
Day 2: Ngorongoro Crater Head down into the 600-metre-deep crater on a 4x4 safari and discover
black rhino, flamingo, eland, gazelle and zebra in this wildlife playground. Stay 2 nights at Ngorongoro Serena Safari Lodge.
Day 4: Serengeti See lion and cheetah roaming the savannah or lounging in the shade of an acacia tree. Stay 2 nights at Serengeti Serena Safari Lodge.
Day 6: Arusha Return to Arusha.
Spot grazing zebras or ambling elephants at sunrise, before landing for a Champagne breakfast
Visit this anthropological hot spot close to Ngorongoro
The Ngorongoro Serena Safari Lodge is the best place to watch the sun rise over the crater, with a cup of tea on your balcony
Did you know that there are no giraffe in the crater? Its walls are too steep
Tailor your tour
Make it your own
We’ve crafted this itinerary based on our own experiences and our customers’ feedback. It’s fully flexible, so talk to us and we can create your perfect trip.
Where to stay
We’ve included picturesque Serena properties. The stone-clad Ngorongoro Serena Safari Lodge sits on the rim of Ngorongoro Crater; Serengeti Serena Safari Lodge has charming domed rondavals which blend into the hillside landscape, with panoramic views over the Serengeti plains.
You can add amazing optional excursions to this itinerary, like a hot-air balloon safari over the Serengeti. Or add a game drive at the scenic Lake Manyara, a favourite of Ernest Hemingway – it’s known for its flamingo population, best seen from August to September.
This itinerary is short but gives you 2 nights at the Ngorongoro Crater and in the Serengeti, two of the most iconic destinations in Tanzania. You can easily add another night in the Serengeti to maximise the incredible wildlife and landscapes – just talk to us about staying longer.
There are plenty of other great places you can see on this itinerary, so just say if you want to stop somewhere else. We recommend extending your trip in Zanzibar – it has beautiful white shores and is just a short flight from Arusha.
Good to know
When to go
• Wildlife viewing opportunities are year-round
• The dry (and high) season generally lasts from late June to October
• The annual wildebeest migration can typically be seen in different areas of the Serengeti from November to July
• The short rains are from November to December and the long rains from April to May
• Zanzibar is hot and humid with an average daytime temperature of 30ºC, and from June to September there’s a welcome sea breeze