GMT +2 hours
Explore this extraordinary and diverse land on your South Africa holiday
A holiday to South Africa is unforgettable – breathtakingly diverse in landscape and visitor experiences. Many first-time visitors make a beeline for the Cape, the Garden Route and Kruger National Park, and with good reason, but this amazing land rewards a longer-than-usual stay, giving you a chance to enjoy less well-known adventures such as the scenery and battlefields of KwaZulu Natal and the fascinating blend of cultures in Gauteng.
- Kruger National Park - home to the Big Five and a great selection of safari lodges
- Explore the buzzing V&A Waterfront in Cape Town and take the cable car up Iconic Table Mountain
- Uncover the evocative remnants of the Anglo-Boer War in KwaZulu Natal
- The beautiful lodges make the Eastern Cape ideal for safari first-timers or families
- We have a great selection of rail journeys to help make visiting this fascinating country even more memorable
Best time to visit
• South Africa lies in the Southern Hemisphere, therefore the seasons are the reverse of those in the Northern Hemisphere.
• December and January are the main summer holiday months.
• In May and June, autumn brings warm days and cool nights.
• Autumn and spring are the best seasons for hiking.
• From the beginning of July to the end of September, you can expect cold conditions in most of the country and rain in the Western Cape.
South Africa Holiday Highlights
• The picturesque Western Cape and enticing Cape Town, with iconic Table Mountain, notorious Robben Island and the excellent bars and restaurants of the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. The famous Winelands with over 200 notable cellars to visit.
• See the Big Five at any of South Africa's premier Game Reserves. From the fearsome wilds of Kruger National Park to the malaria free private reserves of the Eastern Cape.
• The inspirational Garden Route - pristine beaches, majestic mountains, lush forests, wild flower meadows and hospitable towns and villages. National Park, a haven for spectacular animal and birdlife, and one of the continent’s very best game reserves. KwaZulu Natal - magnificent landscapes and poignant history.
• Johannesburg, now transformed, offering quiet gentility and bohemian chic. The greenery of Pretoria, little known capital city - over 100 open spaces include bird sanctuaries, expansive parks and fragrant gardens.
• See just what stunning South Africa has to off on the Best of South Africa tour, introducing you to the wildlife at Kruger, the historic KwaZulu Natal battlefields and Cape Town.
South Africa - The Essentials
If you plan on taking a safari, pack neutral colours and make sure to bring layers as early morning starts can be chilly.
Tipping is common all over South Africa at 10-15% for bars and restaurants. Tipping is also expected for tour guides, drivers and porters.
When travelling through part of South Africa where malaria is present, don’t forget to take anti-malarial medication. The game reserves of the Eastern Cape and Madikwe are malaria-free so good for families.
Biltong is a revered part of local cuisine, and though not particularly aesthetically pleasing, you’ll find it practically everywhere. Composed of strips of meat that have been dried, salted and spiced, it's a tough and chewy delicacy created due to its longevity on even the hottest days.
South Africa Tailor Made
To find your ideal South Africa holiday, call one of our specialist advisors who can help tailor make it to your exact specifications. Browse our online portfolio or order our Africa brochure and see what you can create.
• Combine a Kruger safari with a stay on the sugar soft beaches Mauritius.
• Explore bustling Cape Town before moving onto exotic Dubai.
• Try a stay in South Africa with a hope across the border into Namibia for a truly African experience.
TripAdvisor users have voted Cape Town number one in their Traveller's Choice 2011 Destination Awards.
Recommended South Africa Hotels
South Africa Inspiration
Luxury South Africa holidays
The combination of a fantastic climate, beautiful scenery and amazing wildlife make Southern Africa...
South Africa family holidays
From the delightful city of Cape Town to the vast safari reserves of the Eastern Cape, South Africa...
Interview: Kate Humble
Kate Humble talks to Laura Daniel about living in the back of a truck, diving in the Amazon and trav...
Interview: Charley Boorman
Laura Daniel catches up with actor-turned adventurer Charley Boorman.