Explore diverse and vibrant histories and cultures and unrivalled natural landscapes
Exotic Central America offers spectacular landscapes and mysterious lands. Set between the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, Costa Rica is a nature-lover's paradise. Lush cloud forest, wild beaches and untamed jungle are home to an astonishing diversity of wildlife, from sloths and monkeys to leatherback turtles and red-eyed tree frogs.
A world of adventure awaits, with zip lining, kayaking, snorkelling, horse riding and surfing just a few of the ways you can explore this incredible country. Belize is a small country with a lot to offer. Discover Mayan ruins, the world’s second longest reef and stunning beaches.
- Enthralling wildlife in dense rainforests. Spot exotic colourful birds and howler monkeys in the captivating cloud forests or head to the water, where you might spot whale and sea turtles in the Pacific
- Glorious beaches – choose from the Caribbean or the Pacific coasts and perhaps try your hand at scuba diving, snorkelling or simply relaxing on the warm, golden sands
- Incredible National Parks home to rare wildlife, volcanoes, rainforest, waterfalls and wild beaches. Perfect for adventure activities such as zip lining and river rafting
- Get close to nature by staying at a charming eco-lodge in Costa Rica's beautiful cloud forest
- Indigenous cultures – over 20 Maya languages are spoken in Central America with strong African and Spanish influences. Explore colonial architecture and great traditions amongst 4000 years of history.
Best time to visit Central America
• The dry season is from December to April
• The wetter season is from May to November, peaking in September. During the wetter months mornings are generally bright and sunny, with rain in the afternoon and evening.
Central America holiday highlights
Fringed by the Caribbean to the east and the Pacific to the west and with an interior of dense rain and cloud forests scattered with volcanoes, the verdant nation of Costa Rica is paradise for adventurers and beach lovers alike. The perfect destination for budding naturalists, Costa Rica possesses incredible biodiversity throughout its varied tropical landscapes including over 800 bird species. The sun-drenched northern Pacific coastline of Costa Rica is renowned for its beautiful untouched beaches, hidden coves, tropical forest and abundance of marine life including giant leatherback turtles.
Belize is a small country that lays claim to a great natural and cultural diversity, featuring a lush jungle interior and a paradisiacal Caribbean coast. One of the final frontiers for entirely unspoiled natural beauty, Belize prides itself on its laid back way of life and numerous pristine beaches. Amongst the nation’s natural marvels are the network of caves and the beautiful offshore cayes, scattered along the longest barrier reef in the Americas.
In Honduras witness the 3rd to 10th Century ruins of the once powerful Mayan city of Copan before retreating to the glorious Caribbean lapped Bay Islands whose untouched beaches, which are perfect for snorkelling or diving from, are protected by a barrier reef second only in size to Australia’s Great Barrier Reef.
Like Costa Rica, its neighbour to the south, Nicaragua is a land of lush forests and beautifully pristine coastlines. Growing in popularity amongst communities of international travellers, Central America’s largest country has it all - paradisiacal beaches, emerald rainforests, active volcanoes, Caribbean islands and islets, huge lakes, roaring waterfalls and well-preserved colonial cities. Combined with a low cost of living and an uncharted charm these myriad sights make for a perfect Central America escape.
Panama has its iconic images – the Panama Canal being one of them – which are undoubtedly not to be missed, however there is much more to explore in Central America’s southernmost country. Far from the modern trappings of the ‘Miami of the South’, Panama City, there are coral fringed archipelagos, coffee estates and mountain peaks, all of which give the feeling of being distant from the beaten track.
With ancient ruins nestled deep within the rainforest, traditional Mayan villages and UNESCO listed colonial cities, the vibrant nation of Guatemala is the perfect destination for culture enthusiasts. In this captivating country breath-taking vistas encompass exquisitely beautiful lakes, towering volcanoes and mountainous landscapes scattered with colourful Indian villages.