Weddings in Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka, the tropical teardrop island at the toe of India, is one of the most exotic and beautiful islands in the world. With its mystical ancient cities, thick jungles, miles of palm-fringed beaches, unique culture and genuinely warm and hospitable people, this unforgettable destination is the perfect location to make seal your love.
If you want to stay on and explore this lush island, extend your trip to include a dream Sri Lanka honeymoon. Unwind in a luxurious spa, watch baby elephants play at Pinnawela Elephant Orphanage, and go diving among mysterious ancient shipwrecks.
Here are some of our favourite Sri Lanka resorts to make your vows:
• Recently refurbished Jetwing Sea sits on the beach in Negombo and boasts wondrous ocean views – perfect for watching the sun go down. Our wedding package here includes dancers and drummers, and 42 photos from your special day.
• Fortress is an exquisite boutique property that echoes Old Ceylon style. Marry here and enjoy a romantic breakfast on your balcony the next morning.
• Mount Lavinia sits on a stunning promontory and oozes old-world charm. Wedding couples enjoy a ‘going away’ by vintage car and savour a lobster dinner, plus Champagne breakfast the following day.
Your wedding in Sri Lanka includes…
All Kuoni weddings in Sri Lanka include:
• Assistance from your wedding coordinator
• Decorated garden setting for the ceremony
• Marriage licence and certificate
• Witnesses if required
Before you travel, Kuoni needs to see copies of the following:
• Full 10 year British passport
• Original birth certificate
• Affidavit/statutory declaration*
• Original decree absolute (if divorced)*
• Original death certificates (if widowed)*
• Original adoption certificate (if adopted)
• Original deed poll notice (if changed name)
• Letters of personal details
*Whichever document is applicable to you, needs to be legalised by the foreign and commonwealth office and then attested by the Sri Lanka High commission in London.
A business visa is now required to marry in Sri Lanka, this is instead of the normal visitor visa. This is obtained from the Sri Lankan high commission in London.
Other important information
• Weddings in Sri Lanka are available on Monday and Friday
• You must spend five days in resort before your wedding
• You must stay at the resort for at least seven days
• Minimum age 18
• Kuoni must receive your documents eight weeks before you travel
Once a couple have married in Sri Lanka they must now get their marriage certificate certified by the Consular Affairs Section of the Ministry of External Affairs in Colombo. The certificate must be deposited in person for the marriage certificate be legally recognised outside of Sri Lanka. Couples will be sent the certificate after this process is complete, and please note this may take several months. We therefore recommend the couple have at least 2 working days at their wedding hotel after the wedding. Kuoni can arrange transfers and assistance, this will be at extra cost and differs according to hotel.
When to travel
Sri Lanka is driest from November to March and July to August. The best offers are available during the UK’s summer months.
hotels sorted by