English is the official language, although many other languages are widely spoken in certain cities and communities. America has its own written US English spellings.
• Brits must have a full 10-year British Passport that's valid for six months after you return to the UK.
• You will also need a USA visa or waiver form/ESTA. Apply for your ESTA at least 72 hours before travelling (http://esta.cbp.dhs.gov).
The domestic electrical supply is 110V, 60 cycles AC. Sockets are for plugs with two flat pins.
• 1 January: New Year's Day
• Third Monday in January: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
• Third Monday in February: Presidents Day
• Last Monday in May: Memorial Day
• 4 July: Independence Day
• First Monday in September: Labor Day
• Second Monday in October: Columbus Day
• 11 November: Veterans Day
• Fourth Thursday in November: Thanksgiving Day
• 25 December: Christmas Day
Tipping is an established and accepted custom in America. For good service, waiters and taxi drivers expect 15-20%, and counter and bar staff 10-15%. Porters can expect from $3-$5 per case, while tour guides can be given the equivalent of £2-£3 per day.