Wonders Of The American West With Insight Vacations
Bookended by the glamour of Las Vegas, this comprehensive exploration of the American West visits awesome natural wonders and captivating landscapes made famous by classic Western movies. Overnight at rustic lodges inside the National Parks, set among dazzling panoramas that no camera could ever quite capture.
• Las Vegas: 1 night
• Grand Canyon: 1 night
• Lake Powell: 2 nights
• Mesa Verde National Park: 1 night
• Moab: 2 nights
• Bryce Canyon: 2 nights
DAY 1 ARRIVE IN LAS VEGAS
Welcome to glittering Las Vegas. On arrival at Las Vegas International Airport, your transfer will take you to your hotel. At 18:00, join your Travel Director and companions for a Welcome Dinner with wine at the award-winning Bacchanal Buffet.
Hotel: Caesars Palace, Las Vegas.
Meals: Dinner with Wine
DAY 2 THE WONDERS OF THE GRAND CANYON
Journey on to Grand Canyon National Park, where you will join your Local Expert, Canyon Tim, for an informative talk about the wonders of the phenomenon. With over seven years of experience in geology, you’ll be taught all about the origins of the five-million-year-old canyon, its rock formation and impact now. He’ll also talk to you about the local flora and fauna, and where you might be able to spot the land’s elk, mule deer, coyotes, grey foxes, bobcats and mountain lions. Dine at your lodge this evening after a sparkling reception at sunset taking in the incredible orange hues that light up this stunning natural wonder.
Hotel: National Park Lodges, Grand Canyon.
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine
DAY 3 - RELAXED START GRAND CANYON AND LAKE POWELL
Wake up to the backdrop of the Grand Canyon as you depart for the majesty of Lake Powell. Stop at Glen Canyon Dam to learn about its impact on the Colorado River before arriving at your lakefront resort. Check in to your room and enjoy the evening at leisure.
Hotel: Lake Powell Resorts and Marinas (Lake View or Marina View Rooms).
DAY 4 - RELAXED START A LEISURELY DAY AT LAKE POWELL
Spend the day doing entirely as you please. Perhaps join an optional float trip (8) down one of the most scenic stretches of the Colorado River, or take a leisurely optional cruise through scenic Antelope Canyon with its steep, sandstone walls?
DAY 5 MONUMENT VALLEY AND THE NAVAJO NATION
Journey on through the barren beauty of the desert to Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park, where you will board all-terrain vehicles(8) to explore the valley with your Navajo guide. These sturdy 4 x 4 jeeps offer open sides for spectacular views and each comes with a roof to protect you from the sun. Learn about Navajo history from your guide and more about life on their beautiful land. The area is also the backdrop for many western Hollywood hits, including Stagecoach and Fort Apache. Inspired by these iconic movies, you’ll find “John Wayne’s cabin” at nearby Goulding’s Lodge. This small structure was used for exterior shots in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, starring Wayne himself. The venue also holds a cinema dedicated to none other than John Wayne and his impressive movie portfolio. Enjoy a Navajo cookout Highlight Lunch amid the giant buttes and mesas of this unique landscape before making your way to Mesa Verde National Park, where the day draws to a close. Your lodge inside the park offers sweeping vistas reaching into three states.
Hotel: Far View Lodge, Mesa Verde.
Meals :Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner with Wine
DAY 6 MESA VERDE AND MOAB
Enjoy an in-depth visit to fascinating Mesa Verde National Park. View the ancient pueblo dwellings known as Cliff Palace. Settle in for a relaxing stay at your modern hotel with Western flair, superbly located just a block away from Main Street. Enjoy a Dine-Around evening and choose from a hand-picked selection of restaurants.
Hotel:Hoodoo Moab, Curio Collection by Hilton.
Meals:Breakfast, Dinner with Wine
DAY 7 - RELAXED START DELVE INTO CANYONLANDS AND ARCHES NATIONAL PARKS In the morning, visit Arches National Park, housing the greatest concentration of natural arches in the world. Stop and take a short hike to the Delicate Arch Viewpoint to view the iconic arch. Then it's on to Canyonlands National Park for a drive onto the Island in the Sky - a mesa resting 1,000 feet (305 meters) above the surrounding countryside, offering spectacular views over the dramatic sandstone formations. Back at the lodge, your evening is at leisure. Meals: Breakfast
DAY 8 CAPITOL REEF AND BRYCE CANYON NATIONAL PARKS Magniﬁcent scenery awaits at Capitol Reef National Park, best known for its Waterpocket Fold, a 100-mile-long (160 km) warp in the earth's crust. Journey along one of the most beautiful roads in the world, Scenic Byway 12, winding through the stunning Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Head to the sandstone cliffs of Bryce Canyon National Park in Southern Utah. Here you will be met by pine trees and red rock pillars. You’ll take a leisurely walk along Sunset Point to view the great amphitheatres of the odd-shaped monoliths, known as hoodoos. Hotel: The Lodge at Bryce Canyon. Meals: Breakfast
DAY 9 - RELAXED START WHIMSICAL BRYCE CANYON NATIONAL PARK
Start the day travelling through Bryce Canyon National Park, the great natural amphitheatre. The whimsical eroded rock formations that characterize this National Park are some of Utah's most unusual shapes. Learn how wind, erosion and iron oxidation created the spellbinding hoodoos with your Travel Director. In the evening, join your fellow travellers for a memorable Celebration Dinner set overlooking the park's orange and red rock formations.
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner with Wine
DAY 10 ZION NATIONAL PARK, BACK TO LAS VEGAS
Enjoy a last look at Bryce Canyon, glowing in early morning light, before heading to Zion National Park - one of the most scenic canyons in the United States. Here, join a guided tour by a private Zion Canyon Shuttle, with live commentary, to view the park's best sites. Your journey ends with a departure transfer to Las Vegas International Airport, arriving at 16:00.
Good to know
• Grand Canyon National Park: Join Local Expert Canyon Tim for an informative and exclusive talk as you witness the burnt orange hues of the canyon walls.
• Monument Valley: With a Navajo guide, board an all-terrain vehicle for a private tour through the mythical formation of the Navajo Tribal Park.
TOP RATED HIGHLIGHTS
• Mesa Verde: See the ancient pueblo cliff dwellings, known as the Cliff Palace.
• Arches National Park: Enjoy views of the natural formations, including the iconic Delicate Arch.
• Scenic Drives: Travel the Trail of the Ancients, through the Ute Reservation. Take the All-American Road Scenic Byway 12 through Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Drive along Zion National Park Scenic Byway. Virgin River Gorge.
• Monument Valley: Enjoy an authentic cookout and Highlight Lunch amid the majestic buttes and mesas of the surrounding landscape.
• Moab: Enjoy a Dine-Around evening and choose from a hand-picked selection of restaurants.
• Bryce Canyon National Park: Get together with your new friends for a memorable Celebration
• Dinner within the park’s beautiful surroundings.
• Dining Summary: 9 Breakfasts (B), 1 Lunch (L) and 5 Dinners with wine (DW).
Tours depart in May, June, July, September and October; speak to a Personal Travel Expert for further information.
Included in price
• A highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
• Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
• Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
• Your bags will be carried for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
• Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
• Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
• From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
• If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.