Explore vibrant histories and cultures plus unrivalled natural landscapes
Exotic Central America is home to spectacular landscapes and mysterious lands. Set between the Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea, Costa Rica is a nature-lover's paradise — explore lush cloud forest, wild beaches and untamed jungle and discover an astonishing range of wildlife along the way, from sloths and monkeys to leatherback turtles and red-eyed tree frogs. A world of adventure awaits, with zip lining, kayaking, snorkelling, horse riding and surfing just a few of the ways you can get around. Belize is a small country with a lot to offer — head here for out-of-this-world Mayan ruins, the world’s second longest reef and stunning beaches.
- Enthralling wildlife in dense rainforests. Spot exotic colourful birds and howler monkeys in the captivating cloud forests or head to the water, where you might spot whale and sea turtles in the Pacific
- Glorious beaches – choose from the Caribbean or the Pacific coasts and perhaps try your hand at scuba diving, snorkelling or simply relaxing on the warm, golden sands
- Incredible National Parks home to rare wildlife, volcanoes, rainforest, waterfalls and wild beaches. Perfect for adventure activities such as zip lining and river rafting
- Get close to nature by staying at a charming eco-lodge in Costa Rica's beautiful cloud forest
- Indigenous cultures – over 20 Maya languages are spoken in Central America with strong African and Spanish influences. Explore colonial architecture and great traditions amongst 4000 years of history.
Best time to visit Central America
• The dry season is from December to April
• The wetter season is from May to November, peaking in September. During the wetter months mornings are generally bright and sunny, with rain in the afternoon and evening.
Central America holiday highlights
Fringed by the Caribbean to the east and the Pacific to the west, and with an interior of dense rain and cloud forests scattered with volcanoes, Costa Rica is a taste of paradise. The country boasts incredible biodiversity throughout its varied tropical landscapes, including over 800 bird species. The sun-drenched northern Pacific coastline of Costa Rica is renowned for its beautiful untouched beaches, hidden coves, tropical forest and abundance of marine life including giant leatherback turtles.
Belize is a small country with amazing natural and cultural diversity, featuring a lush jungle interior and a picture-perfect Caribbean coast. One of the final frontiers for entirely unspoilt natural beauty, Belize prides itself on its laid-back way of life and numerous pristine beaches. Discover the country's network of caves and beautiful offshore cayes, scattered along the longest barrier reef in the Americas.