English. Maori is also spoken but is not widely used.
Visas are not required for UK passport holders.
230 volt AC. Three round pin plugs are used, therefore an adapter is required.
• January – ASB Women’s Tennis and Heineken Men’s Open Tennis, Auckland.
• February – Art Deco Week in Napier.
• November – Toast Martinborough wine event.
• January – World Buskers Festival, Christchurch.
• February – Marlborough Wine Festival.
• March – Dunedin Fringe Festival.
• June/July – Queenstown Winter Festival.
Tipping is a matter of choice. For excellent service, a discretionary tip of 10% may be given.
The history of New Zealand dates back to approx. 1250 AD. It was discovered by Polynesians, who settled and developed a distinct Maori culture centred on kinship links and land. New Zealand is often referred to as the 'youngest country', as it was one of the last major landmasses to be inhabited, and has a fascinating mix of Maori and European heritage.