Explore the incredible 'Blue City' set in the Thar Desert
Founded in 1459, the ‘Blue City’ of Jodhpur is Rajasthan’s second largest city after Jaipur. With its striking signature colour, which it gets from the many painted houses, this historic walled city is a destination blessed with majestic palaces and vibrant bazaars – all towered over by the magnificent and wondrous Mehrangarh Fort.
- The Mehrangarh Fort is one of India’s largest forts and romantically described by Rudyard Kipling as ‘the creation of angels, fairies and giants’
- You can shop for jewellery, spices, fabric and more at Sardar Bazaar, located in the heart of the walled old city and punctuated by a clock tower
- We recommend a stay at Taj Umaid Bhavan Palace, a spectacular pink building made of sandstone and marble. Now a hotel, the opulent palace’s museum displays furniture, weapons, paintings and more
- You can travel to the city in style during a rail journey on board the majestic Maharaja's Express
- Photographers will love wandering through the city's old quarter capturing the city's famous blue houses