Santo Domingo Carnival
Visit the country’s historic capital city for this vibrant festival, with devil costumes and masks galore.
La Vega Carnival
Join in the celebrations with merengue and salsa dancing, parades and costumes.
Winter Professional Baseball championship
Baseball is a huge part of Dominican culture, so catch a game if you can.
Dominican Republic Golf Open
Golfers from all over the world will descend on Punta Cana to compete in this golfing event.
Global Dominican Film Festival
Watch a screening in one of many venues across the country.
Dominican Republic Jazz Festival
Head to the north coast and see local and international artists play.
The Dominican Republic’s stunning coastline is famous for its white-sand beaches caressed by the warm, azure Caribbean Sea and Atlantic Ocean.
Your resort may offer scuba diving, hobie cat sailing, snorkelling, kayaking, fishing, windsurfing, banana boating, parasailing and catamarans.
Your resort may have tennis, biking, horse-riding, volleyball, billiards, water polo, mini-golf, table tennis, archery, darts, football and badminton facilities, as well as a nearby golf course.
• From Zoëtry Agua Punta Cana you can tour the region’s cacao plantations, learning how this wonderful fruit is planted, harvested and fermented.
• Grand Palladium Bavaro Resort & Spa offers glass-bottom boat rides, snorkelling and diving excursions to Isla Catalina, speedboat tours and high seas fishing excursions.
• Locally you can book a jeep safari through tropical jungle or a beautiful beach; or arrange a horse-back tour along the beach.
• Your resort may offer à la carte and gourmet international cuisine.
• Dominican cuisine is a mixture of Spanish, indigenous Taíno, and African flavours.
• Mangú is boiled green plantain or cassava, often served with eggs for breakfast.
• La Bandera is a popular dish of meat, rice and beans and often served with fried plantains.
• Pastele en hoja is a meat turnover wrapped and steamed in banana leaves.
• Sancocho is a soup of meat and vegetables such as plantains and sweet potatoes.
• Chicharrones de pollo is chicken fried in a mild, spicy batter.
• Popular desserts include fresh fruit, rice pudding, flan, bread pudding, cornmeal and coconut cake and sweet creamed beans.
• Stick to bottled water.
A 10% service charge is usually included in restaurant bills, and customers usually tip an extra 10% if they’re happy with the service.