Do nothing more than relax on a leisurely cruise, absorb the captivating scenery and enjoy life at a leisurely pace.
GMT +8 hours
Tipping is officially discouraged – even frowned upon. However, it’s becoming more readily accepted in top hotels and restaurants, and is even expected by Chinese guides and bus drivers on tours.
Go kayaking, play golf, explore by bicycle and try rock climbing.
Guilin is famous for its chilli sauce, fermented bean curd and three-flower liquor. You’ll also find other local produce and souvenirs such as jade and stone sculptures, combs and chopsticks.
• ‘Guilin rice noodles’ is a staple dish of rice noodles and meat in a delicious soup, commonly eaten for breakfast or as a snack during the day.
• Another popular breakfast dish is glutinous rice with mung bean paste.
• Glutinous rice dumplings are filled with local ingredients such as coconut paste or osmanthus flower sugar and boiled.
• Fengli is lumps of rice cut into noodle-like strips and fried with ham, green garlic, celery or cauliflower.
• Nun vegetarian noodles are served in a delicious soup with extras including tofu and spices.
• A well-known snack is ‘Guilin water glutinous rice cake’, eaten with sugar or cooked bean flour.
• Water chestnut cake is a popular dessert or snack that you can buy from street stalls and nibble as you walk along.
• Avoid tap water and ice – stick to bottled water.