GMT -8 hours
Discover rich western heritage
At the eastern edge of Canada’s Rocky Mountains sits the popular city of Calgary, known around the world for the Calgary Stampede held each July. With an intriguing mix of the traditional west and a modern, bustling city, Calgary not only acts as gateway to one of Canada’s most beautiful landscapes, it offers historic attractions, a thriving shopping and dining scene and plenty of outdoor spaces.
- Experience the excitement of the Calgary Stampede and watch cowboys during the world's largest outdoor rodeo, chuck wagon races and a parade – be sure to book well in advance
- The city is the start point of the famed Rocky Mountaineer train journey which takes you through the Rockies to the Pacific Coast city of Vancouver
- Head to The Beltline and 17th Avenue for shopping, restaurants and nightlife, Stephen Avenue Walk for boutiques and restaurants, and Eau Claire Market
- Calgary hosted the 1988 Winter Olympics – take a tour of the Canada Olympic Park and even ski there during winter months
- A one or two night stay in Calgary is ideal before heading into the Rockies, either by car, motorhome or train