Perfect for those in search of a luxurious overnight experience aboard one of South Africa’s most elegant and iconic trains.
About this independent tour
• Pretoria to Cape Town via Kimberley 1 night
• Cape Town to Pretoria via Matjiesfontein 1 night
• Pretoria to Hoedspruit departures available in June, July & August 2017; March, June, July, August, October & December 2018
FACILITIES ON BOARD
Dining car serving elegant five-course banquets, Main Lounge serving High Tea, Club Lounge with designated smoking area, De Luxe Suites feature air-conditioning and have either twin beds with a shower or a double bed with compact bath, converting into sitting rooms by day.
The Blue Train is an excellent way of travelling across this huge country in comfort and style. A luxurious alternative to flying, journey overnight between Pretoria and Cape Town or vice versa.
PRETORIA TO CAPE TOWN VIA KIMBERLEY
Travel south west from the capital of Pretoria to the coastal city of Cape Town which boasts a stunning mountain backdrop, golden beaches and world-renowned attractions. During the brief stop in Kimberley, you’ll step back in time to the days of the diamond rush as you visit the fascinating Open Mine Museum for a tour. Learn more about the intriguing history and peer over the edge of the Kimberly ‘Big Hole’ diamond mine.
CAPE TOWN TO PRETORIA VIA MATJIESFONTEIN
Travel north east from the beautiful city of Cape Town to the attractive leafy capital of Pretoria which was founded in 1855 and is renowned for its beautiful parks, historic buildings and a compact city centre that is easy to explore on foot. During your time in Matjiesfontein, you’ll be invited for a glass of sherry at the bar of The Blue Train, complete with an engraved glass to keep as a memento of your spectacular journey. You’ll then head out to see the Victorian buildings and black lamp posts of Matjiesfontein during a short 45-minute excursion where you’ll be transported back to a bygone era.
Tailor your tour
Gliding between Cape Town and Pretoria, The Blue Train is a great way to experience the beauty of South Africa in elegant luxury, with stays at either end easily arranged.
Good to know
• Train departs selected Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Maximum of 54 or 82 passengers
• Pretoria, Johannesburg and the Highveld are at high altitude and can be cold in winter – be sure to pack warm clothing
• Upgrades to Luxury Twin or Double Suites are available
• Dinner is a stylish affair, with evening wear required
• Smoking is only available in the Club Lounge
• Check-in is an hour before departure.