GMT +12 hours (GMT +13 hours from the last week in March to the first week in October)
Discover an island of big scenery and remarkable attractions
Dramatic mountains and glaciers sweep down to mysterious fiords carved deep into the coastline, secluded sandy beaches provide a gateway to forested national parks, and tiny coastal and lakeside towns belie their size with an awe-inspiring range of outdoor activities… This is an island of big scenery and a natural playground.
The enchanting English-feeling city of Christchurch and the South Island’s adrenalin capital, Queenstown, are two wonderful bases from which to explore the surrounding regions.
South Island highlights
• Take a sea taxi from Kaiteriteri to a secluded beach in the beautiful Abel Tasman National Park, then trek your way back to your starting point.
• Experience an unforgettable morning swimming with wild dolphins or whale watching off the coast of Kaikoura.
• Sample delicious Sauvignon Blanc wines on a vineyard tour of the Marlborough region.
• Hike (or take a helicopter ride) to the top of the mighty Franz Josef or Fox Glacier and walk on the face of the glacier, through crevasses and ice caves.
• Spend a magical day visiting recognisable locations from the Lord of the Rings films.
• Cruise or sea kayak in stunning and dramatic Milford Sound, dominated by the imposing Mitre Peak and home to abundant wildlife.
New Zealand Tailor Made Holidays
We can create a holiday that fits your exact requirements by tailor making it just for you. If you want to visit Abel Tasman National Park, stay in Queenstown, then explore the North Island on a self-drive, Kuoni can do it for you. You can also add other destinations to your holiday to create a multi-centre holiday.