GMT +5½ hours
Immerse yourself in this vibrant, colourful country
Holiday in India and let your senses be stimulated by fragrant spices and colourful saris, marvel at magnificent temples and enjoy vibrant festivals and fairs. From north India’s Golden Triangle with its buzzing cities and architectural wonders to the scenery and serenity of Kerala in the South; from tiger sanctuaries and national parks to colonial hill stations and tea plantations, a holiday to India is one you’ll never forget.
• Discover the splendours of Rajasthan – Delhi’s colonial grandeur, the legendary 'Pink City' of Jaipur, enchantingly beautiful Jodhpur, and Jaiselmer rising sheer from the desert sands.
• Cruise around Kerala's enchanting backwaters and take in spectacular scenery with our relaxing Oberoi MV Vrinda cruise.
• Visit the world-famous Taj Mahal in Agra, a sublime monument to love and possibly the world's most beautiful building.
• Explore Goa, India's smallest state, marvelling at its Portuguese colonial culture, World Heritage-listed architecture and natural wonders from aromatic spice gardens to breathtaking Indian Ocean beaches.
• Journey into the wild heart of India and discover some of the country's most stunning national parks and incredible wildlife on our superb Call of the Tiger tour.
• Try to have some small denominations and change on arrival for tips and small purchases.
• Ladies should dress modestly, especially in rural areas which are typically more traditional.
• Avoid overt displays of affection in public places.
• When eating without cutlery, use the fingertips of the right hand and don't lift your plate with the left.
• It is polite to take off your shoes and leave them outside when entering an Indian home.
• Shaking hands with women should be avoided, especially in rural areas.
• If travelling by rail keep an eye on your luggage, even in First Class.
• Try not to act hapless on the streets – your vulnerability will be easily spotted by potential criminals.
• Only exchange money through authorised banks or money changers.
In most countries, people typically nod their heads for ‘yes’ and shake them for ‘no’. Well, not in India – they like to be different and confusingly do something that is somewhere in between a nod and shake. It’s often referred to as the ‘wobble’, during which the head moves from side to side in a curious and bewildering circular motion. What does it mean? Guess you’ll need to visit to find out.
At Mumbai’s bustling Churchgate Station you can see dabbawallas unpack the city’s lunchboxes before delivering them throughout the buzzing metropolis. This tradition was established with a team of 100 during British rule, serving officials who didn’t trust food that wasn’t cooked by their wives or mothers. Today around 5,000 dabbawallas distribute up to 200,000 lunches every day.
All of our India hotels make for fabulous honeymoon settings. See ancient sights, tour buzzing cities, take a romantic backwater cruise and dine on mouth-watering spicy cuisine.
We offer a whole selection of sightseeing and cultural experiences that you can add to your holiday and enrich your India experience. With a Kuoni experience you can discover the sights of India's great cities, experience a traditional dinner with a local family or go behind the scenes on a Bollywood tour in Mumbai.
Please contact us for details of our full selection of authentic experiences and sightseeing trips.