GMT -5 hours
A dreamlike archipelago of turquoise, white and green gracing the northeast Caribbean Sea
A former haven of pirates, smugglers and rum-runners, the Bahamas has become one of the most popular holiday destinations in the Caribbean. Enjoy long days below the surface as tropical fish swim by, kick back on powder-soft sands, go island-hopping to explore this beautiful archipelago of 700 islands and perhaps experience the charming swimming pigs on Pig Beach. Spend a week or two here and adjust to the islands' three paces of life... slow, stop and reverse, and enjoy the hedonistic, manmade delights of Paradise Island.
- The Bahamas offers some of the best beaches in the Caribbean, with turquoise waters and soft white, pink and gold sands
- Deep-sea diving amongst spooky shipwrecks and reefs teeming with brightly coloured fish; and kayaking around some of the 2400 cays, making unforgettable experiences
- The historic capital of Nassau is a wonderful place to explore, where charming Georgian architecture stands pretty in various shades of pastel
- The exclusive surrounds of Paradise Island – home to an array of resorts such as the world-famous Atlantis, Paradise - boasting its own waterpark, aquarium and casino
- The city of Freeport is a shopper’s paradise, with designer and boutique stores, as well as a world of Bahamian arts and crafts. This makes for a perfect day trip with plenty to see and do, and with an array of restaurants and bars – why not enjoy the evening here too.
Best time to visit Bahamas
The Bahamas has warm temperatures year round. May to October has higher rainfall than the rest of the year. June to November is the hurricane season throughout the Caribbean
Bahamas holiday highlights
Vibrant Nassau is the nation’s gateway, occupying much of the eastern half of the island of New Providence. Most tourists make a beeline for the island’s beaches and upscale resorts, or cross the causeway to neighbouring Paradise Island. This is where the majority of cruise ships dock, which guests heading off on day-long excursions to experience the laid-back vibe of the islands.
Paradise Island is perfect for those looking for absolutely everything whilst on their holiday to the Caribbean. Decadent Atlantis Paradise Island (p100-101) and the neighbouring sister-resort of The Cove Atlantis (p99), play host to enormous lagoon swimming pools, seemingly endless dining and entertainment options and an exciting water park, Aquaventure.
The breathtaking district of Exuma is home to 365 islands and tiny, uninhabited cays which are surrounded by the famed turquoise waters of the Caribbean. Almost untouched beaches are joy to explore and the famous ‘Pig Beach’ is found on Major’s Spot Cay. Resorts are relatively few and far between which adds to the charm of the islands. Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis & Spa Resort (p103), which is located on the coast of the main island of Great Exuma, is a great spot for those looking to truly get away from it all.
Recommended Bahamas Hotels
7 nights, Room Only, 12 Oct '17
7 nights, All Inclusive, 12 Oct '17
7 nights, Room Only, 12 Oct '17
7 nights, All Inclusive, 18 Sep '17