Great Barrier Reef & Whitsundays holidays
Lush rainforests, tropical white sand beaches and a natural wonder
In Australia's tropical north lies one of the world's most remarkable landscapes. Sparkling coral waters of a hundred shades of blue are dotted with picture-perfect islands shrouded in lush rainforest and fringed with unspoilt white sand beaches. Here is also home to one of the seven natural wonders of the world - the incredible Great Barrier Reef.
Great Barrier Reef Islands
Along the tropical north coast of Queensland lie hundreds of tiny islands, surrounded by sparkling turquoise waters amidst the spectacular Great Barrier Reef. North of the Whitsunday islands, Dunk, Orpheus and Lizard Islands are amongst those that have been sensitively developed so that guests need not only visit for a day, but can spend the night on a true hideaway island.
• Take a rainforest walk with a naturalist on Dunk Island, or enjoy its many activities from golf to watersports
• Venture out on a snorkelling trip from Orpheus Island, on the resort's own 32-feet catamaran
• Simply relax on one of Lizard Island's 24 secluded white sand beaches
• Or venture to one of the fantastic Whitsunday Islands, encompassing sprawling Hamilton Island and exclusive Hayman Island.
The Whitsunday Islands are shrouded in lush rainforest and fringed by some of the world’s most beautiful beaches, turquoise waters and colourful coral reefs. Bordered by the remarkable Great Barrier Reef, this paradisiacal part of the world has a range of accommodation, from family-friendly resorts to some of the most romantic and exclusive hideaways imaginable.
• Take a helicopter or seaplane trip for unparalleled views of the reefs and perfectly-formed islands
• Visit Whitehaven Beach - often described as one of the best beaches in the world - and, at low tide, walk up to the lookout at Tongue Point for views of the unique Hill Inlet
• Snorkel offshore or venture further afield on a diving excursion to the Great Barrier Reef.
Whitsunday Islands - Hamilton Island
As the Reef’s largest inhabited island, Hamilton Island boasts a wealth of activities, including an 18-hole championship golf course located on neighbouring Dent Island, day trips to the Great Barrier Reef or spectacular Whitehaven Beach and an array of food and wine experiences. With over 40 different activities, you can do everything - including nothing at all.
There are direct flights to the island from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Cairns. Alternatively, take a 35 minute ferry crossing from Shute Harbour in Airlie Beach. There is secured parking available at Shute Harbour. There are a few different options for getting around on Hamilton Island - buggies are the main mode of transport and are available for hire and there is also a free island shuttle service, which operates daily.
Accommodation on Hamilton Island includes:
• Family friendly Reef View
• Adults only, stylish Beach Club
• Luxury qualia with its own private beach.
Whitsunday Islands - Hayman Island
Hayman Island is the most northerly of the Whitsunday Islands and just 400 acres in size. As well as its stunning natural scenery, it is known for its indulgent spa and offers activites including watersports, diving, tennis, fishing, trips to other islands and Dent Island heli-golf.
Hayman Island is reached by a one hour luxury launch transfer from Hamilton Island (for magnificent aerial views, helicopter and seaplane transfers are available on request). The only accommodation on the island is the exclusive Hayman on the southwest coast.